A few words about some the early workers for Zion. Mr. Henry S. Cornell, one of the eighteen signers of the document of 1829, had a large family. His sons, Archibald, Benjamin, and Henry all served as vestrymen. His son Augustine was the first young man from Zion to enter the ministry. His first church was the Episcopal Church in Nyack, New York, where he remained rector until his death at the age of seventy-four. This branch of the Cornell Family has been active in Zion since 1830 and was represented by Alice Huestis, Clara Allen, Edna Randel Schultz, and Ruth Allen.
When Benjamin P. Allen died, Bloodgood Cutter, "The Farmer Poet of Long Island," wrote:
No more at church on Sunday meet,
No more will we each other greet.
Vestry meetings he'll no more attend
No more meet as friend to friend.
Mr. Cutter served on the Vestry for many years. At his death most of his extensive library was given to Zion, including many books by Mark Twain. Cutter and Twain had traveled together extensively, and it is one of their trips to the Orient that prompted the writing of "Innocents Abroad." Unhappily this library was destroyed in the fire of 1924.
Dr. Edward Trudeau was a vestryman for two years and was married to the Reverend Beare's daughter Charlotte. He became ill of tuberculosis in 1872 and moved to the Adirondacks to die in a place he loved. Surprised to find his health greatly improved after the first winter, he decided to stay on, making Saranac Lake his home for the forty remaining years of his life. He built Trudeau Sanatorium for the treatment of tuberculosis, and out of his own experience developed a method of treatment which was to have wide influence in the arresting of that disease.
Robert Louis Stevenson spent the years 1887-1888 at Saranac Lake as a patient of Dr. Trudeau and wrote some of his finest essays of there. The Trudeau School of Tuberculosis grew out of the Saranac Laboratory and the memorial Foundation established after Dr. Trudeau's death.
Mr. William Buhrman ran the general store at Alley Pond in 1828. The store served the neighborhood for nearly a hundred years, and it was in this store that the first Post Office of Flushing Township was established. Mail was brought by stage coach, post rider, and boat. Mr. Buhrman and his son William gave generously to Zion.
Lewis Cornell from Little Neck, the only Revolutionary soldier buried at Zion, joined the militia and served under Colonel Humphrey in the Fifth Regiment of Dutchess County. He returned home to become active in civic affairs, and in 1798 was chairman of the Town Meeting in Flushing which petitioned the repeal of the Alien and Sedition Acts. He died 1836 and was buried in the Cornell Homestead Cemetery. When Horace Harding Boulevard was widened all the remains of this cemetery were interred at Zion.
Civil War veterans buried at Zion are: C.A. Bissel, William Pudney, W.H. Doremmus, W.H. Brower, John Cutter, W. Thurston, W.E. Cornell, John Starkins, Albert Griffin, Theodore Lambertson, Joseph Starkins, Horace Leek, William Corey, and John King.
December Luminarium The Zion Centennial Ode, music by our long-time organist, Lyra Nicholas, and words by Reverend Lester Leake Riley, closes this history:
Our grateful memory and praise
upon those villagers of yore
Who drove their dust trailed wagon ways
Before it's ever-welcome door.
Beneath the grass and trees they rest
While flowers flecked with dew and sun
Mark this dear spot they loved the best
Now their brief day of life is done.